Sunday, June 18, 2006

Day “3” – Part One

9:45 AM

So I’m sitting in the Düsseldorf airport right now waiting for my last short flight to Dresden. I’m not sure how much more battery power my laptop has. I didn’t sleep a wink on the “overnight” flight. These Germans really know how to keep the coffee flowing. I even get it for free in the airport courtesy of Lufthansa Airlines.

The flight really didn’t seem to take that long considering how far we flew (approx. 3600 miles). I can’t believe how big the Atlantic Ocean is. It really put it in perspective for me. Land is definitely a minority on this planet.

The airline fed us breakfast. That records as my first two meal flight. They gave me a pretty decent croissant. Getting off the plane was interesting. Culture shock already and I haven’t even left the airport. It’s really weird being somewhere that English isn’t the dominant language. Most of the signs have the English translation, but you still have to rely on other things than signs to get around. It’s pretty fun.

Ok, I can already tell that I’m going to get fat on this trip. There is so much meat being served up here. It’s ridiculous and it all looks delicious. I’m going to wait until Dresden to eat. I’m just pounding through the caffeine in an attempt to stay up until about midnight tonight so my sleep schedule can get on track.

Being over here is pretty liberating, but I can’t help but be a little homesick. This is obviously the furthest I’ve been from home and being alone doesn’t help matters. I’m sure I’m going to grow a lot from this criminally short trip. I can’t wait to get my camera from my luggage. When we were landing I spied some pretty amazing architecture. I have a feeling everything is going to be beautiful over here.

Germany definitely has world cup fever. It’s the only thing people seem to be talking about. I have a feeling it’s going to be a little crazy over here. It’s weird because there are people reading newspapers reporting on the U.S. game that wasn’t even finished when I left New York

Well, I’m supposedly boarding in 9 minutes, but our plane is nowhere to be found. It’s going to be a little crop duster plane because we have to board from the ground level. I just can’t wait to be finished with all this commuting. I’ve pretty much been on the run since I woke up. I have no clue what time it is back home. I don’t think it’s even dark yet. Don’t worry, I won’t tell you about your tomorrow and ruin the surprise.

More to come later today (with pictures, hopefully!).

br

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home