Saturday, June 24, 2006

Day 8 - Germany, Land of acute angles

Actually writing this entry from the plane en route to new york city. Which means I'm yet again a day behind in my blogging.

Well, the morning began with me sleeping in later than I meant to. Of all the days I choose to accidently sleep in, it's the day that I have to present. All went well though. I woke up exactly one hour before my presentation time, so I was a little groggy at the beginning of the session.

When it was my turn to present I suddenly woke up all the way and gave my short yet precise 3 minute speech. Seems short, eh? Well, the type of session I was scheduled for is called a "high density" session. It's where there are 7 presentations followed by about 30-40 minutes of poster mingling. Pretty much the speech is the sales pitch to get people to your poster. The scheduled day/time of my presentation was pretty inconvenient for two reasons. One being that it was the last day (and i think the last hour?) of the entire conference so most people already went home. And secondly, it was the morning after all of the open bar receptions. Lots of people looked like they had lots of fun the night before. Given these conditions, the turnout was actually pretty decent compared to other conferences.

After the session I did a little celebratory dance and went back to my hotel to change into something more comfortable to go sight-seeing in. One hour later I was back on the streets looking at old things. I actually was supposed to meet up at this museum with a couple colleagues but they never showed. It's all good though because I felt like having a little alone time in the city. I had a pretty decent lunch and bought a couple things. I got tired pretty quickly. Not used to so much consistent exercise (not to mention intense heat). I think i'm going to die when I get back to the midwest summer...

As I was walking back to find a taxi I decided to go to this really old museum. It's actually in the building with the elaborate courtyard i blogged about a few days back. It held quite a bit of German Renaissance paintings. Usually not my cup of tea, but hey, when you're in the place they were painted it's always good to check them out! I actually had a really decent desert at the museum cafe. I had a strawberry cake that was surprisingly light and not too sweet for my tastes. This was accompanied by a cup of coffee (of course). Here's a pic of my snack:


Oh yeah, forgot to mention that Mozart himself was performing outside of the museum. Ha, I wish. But this guy was the next closest person.

He was shredding!

It's kind of funny. I bought some relatively inexpensive things and checked my bag at the coat check. When I left I totally forgot about them and took a cab back to my hotel. Once I realized I returned back to the museum only to find it closed. I asked when it would reopen the next day and they said 10am. That would be ok if I wasn't scheduled to fly away at 9:45am. No biggie. Only lost a couple small things. I still have this piece of metal with the number "71" on it that the coat checker gave me. Someday i'll have to return and pick up my goods!

So back to my hotel which is where I remained for the rest of the evening. I really needed some rest and to pack. There were clothes scattered all over my hotel room floor.

I finally fell asleep around midnight and that was that.

Hope all is well back home! only a couple more days until I see everyone. And only 3 days until I see a very special someone :) not that you all aren't special, but it's just been a long long time.

<3, br

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home